Thursday, July 8, 2004

promised reviews for early July:

Howdy all (or any)…



Pedro the Lion with John Vanderslice at Gabe’s Oasis in Iowa City on July 2, 2004:



Only caught the last 2 songs of Vanderslice, which sucks (Matt, Gary: we must seek help for our gambling problems), but he seemed like he would be a good guy to see headline some time. I really like his latest album, Cellar Door. I didn’t realize Pedro had such a following. There were throngs of young, delirious fans mouthing every word of every song. I thought that many might be trippin’, but then I remembered the Christian bent to Pedro’s music and guessed that they were probably infested with the spirit. I dug the show, particularly when Vanderslice came out and provided some much need harmonies, but was pissed that they had Vanderslice’s sound so muted compared to Pedro’s. Gabe’s only kicks on the subs and the serious power amps for the headliner, which sucks. I hope they bring in Vanderslice as a headliner some day. I like Cellar Door much better than Pedro's Achilles Heel.



John Kerry in Cedar Rapids on July 4, 2004:



Went to a rally in Cedar Rapids because a friend at work gave me “preferred seating” tickets. Since he will likely be the next president, I thought we should go. Plus, I thought there was an outside chance that he would announce Vilsack as his running mate (glad he didn’t, politically speaking). Unfortunately, the preferred seating was no seating (but was up close and personal), and during the hours of waiting, it rained. Still, we persevered, as my huevos were still dry, but by the time Kerry came out, big freakin’, cold-ass raindrops started pelting us in high numbers. This sucked way to much to hang around and listen to rhetoric like “this rain may not go away, but Bush will go away in November!” While I agree with the sentiment, this was drenching shit. So, we skipped the fireworks and went home.



Fahrenheit 911 at the Campus III in Iowa City, IA on July 5, 2004:



First off, I hate the Campus III theaters. They come from that era in theaters that fell after the era of grand palace theaters but before they started making smaller theaters with bigger screens, stadium seating, and great sound. So they suck. The location is great, so they should rebuild. I haven’t caught Kill Bill 2 because it would be better on DVD than at the Campus III. Anyway, I was shocked to find a line when I arrived, and it almost sold out. I’m not an unbiased reviewer, as I think that Bush and Cheney and the rest of the administration are the most evil group to run our country, certainly in my life time, and maybe ever. The movie seemed right on to me, and most of the attacks on it seem to be about minor points in the movie (go here to learn more about those) rather than about its larger messages. Go see this movie. Not only is it important, but it is was more entertaining than most of the crapola in theaters.



Ho hum...

6 comments:

Cootera said...

Hey Brian, the links are a little trippy, maaaan!! Well, ok... the rave one. Where do you find this shit?

Reuben Reviewer said...

Damn liberal.

BEEz said...

Damn sandwich critic!

mak said...

I love the Bush=Evil Teddy, He's so cute and cudley.

BEEz said...

Who be "mak"??

rvsherpa said...

I smell an imposter!!!
Bountiful Blogging Beezer'