Monday, October 4, 2004

Yo La Tengo and Friends

I really enjoyed seeing Yo La Tengo at the IMU Wheelrom last Thursday. They've always been one of my favorites (unlike Matchbox Twenty -- in case anyone didn't get it, or check out the link, that post on 9/27 was a joke). They had a throw together group of musical cohorts that included David Kilgour, Damon and Naomi, and two guys from Eleventh Dream Day. They also were supposed to have a comedian with them named Eugene Mirman (although I don't remember seeing him there), his site is both annoying and amusing. It was ironic that they had a Swing State tour gig set up on the night of the first debate, but they waited until the "debate" was over to start playing. On a side note, I'm glad to see that Bush is starting to be seen by the masses as the smirky little pud that he is. The Wheelroom has some complicated viewing, with many support columns and an odd shape, but I really dug the informality it created for the show. I'm generally one that treats even small shows like a concert, wanting to catch every minute of every song from start to finish, but the loose jams and wierd venue left me free to roam in and out and move around the room for different audio/visual perspectives. The sound was decent and the supporting cast was as enjoyable as Yo La Tengo. The crew played for about 2 and a half hours, which was ample, considering that I was standing for most of that. I was pleased enough that I picked up 3 CDs: Yo La Tengo's Summer Sun, which I've been meaning to buy for awhile; Damon and Naomi's With Ghost; and David Kilgour's Frozen Orange, which got a rave review in this weekly rundown from Iowa City's own music reviewer Jim Musser. I haven't cracked the cellophane on any of them yet, but will let you bored bloggers know what I think when I crank them up. The whole excursion also created new interest for me in Galaxie 500 and The Clean, the first of which I've heard (but never really got into) and the second of which I haven't.



Be sure to watch Beauty and the Beast, I mean, the Vice Presidential debate tonight. Cheney is an evil lying bastard and I hope it shows on TV. If you need to know more, click on EVIL REPUBLICANS. Ho Hum

No comments: