Tuesday, September 7, 2004

Back from Chi town

Advice to the traveler... always schedule one day of recovery before returning to the drudgery of work. Me and the missus met up with some of her family in Chicago for the whole weekend, landing us back in IC last night. I still have no interest in accomplishing anything at work. Still on my mind (and probably my gut) are the Beef Medallions, Portabella Mushrooms, Garlic Mashed Potatoes I noshed on with good wine at Maggiano's. This is a chain, but a small upscale chain. The steak was pretty much perfect. The real keeper, though, of this trip was Vong's Thai Kitchen. We eat Thai on every trip (and at home), so we know our Thai. Vong's is not purely traditional Thai food, but it is more of a French fusion, but that did not diminish it's flavors. We shared a Red Beef Curry that was actually a grilled steak, served with an awesome curry. The steak was prime (it was a bit under the medium rare I ordered, but I can live with that). My favorite was the Signature Shrimp and Crab Pad Thai that we shared. It was, by far, the best Pad Thai I've ever eaten. Other folks at the table had seafood and all were impressed by the freshness. The dishes were all between 10$ and 20$, which is amazing for upscale stuff in downtown Chicago. Also, if there, be sure to save room for the passion fruit souffle... really awesome. Back to work. Is it 5:30 yet?

1 comment:

Matt said...

I've been to the Maggiano's in Oakbrook many times. Good lasagna and huge portions there.