Monday, August 1, 2005

The 885 greatest albums




You can vote for the 885 greatest albums of all time here. This is being done by a really cool public radio station out of the University of Pennsylvania, WXPN, that is almost all music, and not classical like most of the all music public stations, but mostly progressive rock (and you can listen online). The World Cafe is a product of this station. They've already done a 885 greatest songs and you can check out the list here. Springsteen at the top? I don't know, but it was by committee... (not that I don't like The Boss) I'm going to cheat a little and try to prop up some of my favorites (like Love and The Kinks) that are less likely to pull the numbers of Pet Sounds and Sgt. Peppers. I'm still cogitating, but I'll share my list after I submit it...

3 comments:

Roger said...

Hope their album list is better, because their song list pretty much sucks.

BEEz said...

I didn't think it was that bad, considering it was committe work. Yes, way to much Springsteen, and some bad choices throughout, but I could make an argument for at least half of the top 50. Considering the breadth of the pool, that's not too bad. Plus, these lists, by nature, are infuriating. Yet, it is hard not to look and/or participate...

adrienne said...

Surely no one will agree with me, but I voted for the following:
1.Battle of Los Angeles by Rage Against the Machine
2.All Things Must Pass by George Harrison
3.No Nukes (Live Concert, Various Artists)
4.It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back by Public Enemy
5.Amazone by Zap Mama
6.Don't Sweat the Technique by Eric B. and Rakim
7.Concerts for the People of Kampuchea (Live Concert, Various Artists)
8.Stay Human by Michael Franti and Spearhead
9.Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens
10.Embrace the Chaos by Ozomatli