Monday, March 21, 2005

Vacation, more colds, and still annoyed about Bush...

Been offline for quite awhile. Went to San Diego and had some fun. We were not blown away by the city, it was a bit dank and windy for the first few days, helping me to yet another freakin' cold (I think I should become a bubble boy), but the sun did come out for the last two days. And yes, I'm still annoyed Bush. Particularly about this poor woman in Florida. To believe that Bush got involved, talk about calling in favors... The thing about republicans, they are total hypocrites. They say they hate "activist judges" yet they rewrite the rules and the laws any time they don't get their way. If this lady was a lucid, single mother of three, they would not give one shit about her, but since she is all but dead, they are emotional about saving her so that she can be force fed another day. Yes, I'm still annoyed...

Back to our vacation. We tried to go to some museums in Balboa Park, but all of the good ones were closed (you know, because it was Monday????). The highlight, though, was the fun we had watching whales. We went on a 3 plus hour tour (where was Maryanne and Ginger?) which started with about an hour long ride out to sea. This first hour consisted of watching military copters and jets doing maneuvers (pretty cool) and witnessing docked warships and submarines (impressive). The motion of sea also meant we got to watch a couple of kids hork up all of those snacks they just had to have... We were skeptical as to whether we would see whales, or if so, that they would be little blips in the distance. That's the way it started, but soon, we got close enough to see them spraying water out of their blowholes (which beat watching half-digested snacks spraying from pieholes...).

Eventually, we could see them (California Grey Whales) jumping out of the water. I think I counted 7 in the pod (that there is whale lingo).

There were porpoises (I learned in Florida not to call them dolphins, which is what they call a mahi mahi) all around the boat, racing us and jumping high in the air, so we had two shows at once. On the way back, right in the harbor amidst all of the ships and several miles from the migratory path we had just left, I caught a grey whale doing this right next to the boat:


Pretty cool.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Many years ago in Florida, I about had my sister in tears because I was insisting on eating the "dolphin". She thought I was going to chow down on Flipper.

Cootera said...

I once went whale-watching while visiting Boston. 'Course, diff'rnt water, diff'rnt critter. We were treated to the humpback whale on the Atlantic, and boy howdy, they too, are gorgeous to behold when they breach.

BEEz said...

Yeah, I remember sitting in a restaurant with coworker on a biz trip to Florida. We were both amazed to see dolphin on the menu. Even before I found out what it really was, I was going to give it a try. Why not?

Anonymous said...

When I'm in FL I always go for the Manatee spare ribs. Good stuff, that.